What To Look For In A Carpet Cleaning Product
We all love carpets because of the warmth, softness, and coziness it brings to our homes. But at times, these carpets might need a little more than Tender Loving Care. Spills, dirt, and muddy pet paws can sometimes be unavoidable. But, there is no need to panic! Here are some of our favorite carpet cleaning tips and product ingredients that you can use to restore your carpet to its pristine condition.
Carpet Cleaning Tips
To effectively keep your household healthy, you need to know how to clean your carpets like an expert, especially if you have kids and pets. Let’s face it, carpets and rugs are prone to stain, crud, and dirt. And, some of us have no idea where to start on removing some of these tough stains.
Many cleaning products use harsh ingredients to “handle” these unwelcome guests. You may want to consider cleaning your carpets using organic and Eco-Friendly products.
If you desire to deep clean your carpet, and avoid those harsh chemicals; try these five (5) simple cleaning tips.
- Clean Carpet Stains and Grease naturally using white vinegar, water, and mild dish soap. Into a quart of warm water, add one tablespoon of dish soap and ¼ teaspoon of vinegar. Mix the solution and test in a small unnoticeable part of the carpet before applying it to the stained area. Blot to absorb, never rub.
- Use club soda for heavier stains. Dried blood and wine or beer stain are harder to clean, and more-so on thicker carpets. Apply a small amount of club soda on the spot, and gently blot the surface using a sponge, terry cloth, or paper towels. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing the fibers, as it may damage your carpet further.
*For darker stains, mix the club soda with an equal ratio of white vinegar. Spray the solution onto the stain and let it soak for a good 10 minutes before blotting it with a sponge or cloth. Once the stain is gone, rinse the area with warm water. Cover the area with several paper towels and let it dry for 24 hours, with indoor circulated air.
- Follow the proper blotting technique. A good rule of thumb when cleaning stains on carpets is to blot from the outer portion then inwards. This technique will prevent the smear from spreading bigger.
- Use hydrogen peroxide for bloodstains. You will need to loosen the dried blood stain with a safe cleaning solution using a mild detergent and warm water. Use a knife to lift some of the bloodstains from the carpet fibers.
**To clean the remaining bloodstain, pour the hydrogen peroxide directly into the stain. Let the solution fizz. After 5 minutes, blot the stain with a paper towel.
- Clean pet accidents organically. Pet stains may also come with odor, so you may want to use an organic and non-toxic cleaner like ZorbX. Spray the cleaner on the dirt, do some light scrubbing, and dab with paper towels afterward. ZorbX also works well on other stains and leaves your carpet smelling fresh.
Always remember to take extra precautions when cleaning carpets as they are very delicate. If you are unsure of a product, read more and follow instructions on the label.
Choosing Carpet Cleaning Products
Carpets can (and will) attract all sorts of allergens, dust, dander, and bacteria. Having clean carpets is part of keeping a healthy home, including the members of your household. While we do have to regularly deep clean our carpets to remove dirt, keep in mind the chemicals that many of the cleaning products we use contain.
Here are some guidelines for choosing a carpet cleaning product.
- Choose ingredients that are on the safe list from the FDA
While most cleaning carpet solutions in the market are mild and non-toxic, be sure to also check that the ingredients used are environmentally friendly and safe.
- Effective and With Good Product Reviews
Check out local reviews about the cleaning product you want to buy. Get a product that is green-certified, non-toxic, does not leave sticky films on carpets, and has a fast dry time.
Deep cleaning and spot cleaning are basic tasks that every homeowner with carpets should know. With effective and safe carpet cleaning products, you can be sure that your carpets are always in their best condition. If you are unsure of using chemicals on your carpet or rugs, you can always call a professional (like EcoClean Restoration). Our Steam Cleaning method allows for our deep, penetrating cleaning products to lift dirt and stains from your carpet, but also be effectively rinsed, leaving your carpets sanitized and feeling clean.
After all, nothing beats the feeling of walking on soft, plushy, and most importantly, clean carpets.